As you may remember, I went for my first trimester screen this past Monday. It was so neat to FINALLY hear the heartbeat (162 bpm) and the baby was very active. Its little arms were just going crazy, it was waving to us and it was so neat. We actually got to look at the baby for at least 15-20 minutes! The tech did a "NT Scan" which basically measures the amount of fluid behind the baby's neck. Now, in most cases, the Dr will say that anything under 3mm is fine, but not my Dr. No, my Dr has the standard of 2mm and lower and Baby Boo did not meet his standards:( The tech measured the NT at 2.3 and when the Dr came in to verify, he measured it at 2.4- so we had to hear the whole scary story of what this "could" mean. Basically, the NT is one possible indicator of down syndrome or other chromosomal defects that the baby could have. We did blood work and the Dr said that I could wait to hear the results on that before moving forward, but I opted to be proactive. Right then and there I decided to do a CVS test, which is a 99.7% accurate test to determine if my baby has any of these abnormalties. It was scary, the Dr. placed a foot-long needle into my abdomen and just started jamming it around. I didn't watch, and I am surprised Kyle didn't pass out while watching. The CVS is a lot like the procedure of a amnio except that instead of collecting the fluid from around the baby, this collects DNA from the placenta. Because of this test, I would also be able to find out the gender of the baby!!! I was told that I would find out the preliminary results in 48-72 hours. This would be the LONGEST hours of my life.
Fast forward to yesterday, everytime the damn phone rang my heart skipped a beat. I was so very nervous, but at the same time, hopeful. Finally at 4pm the Nurse called me with the results. The wonderful words "everything tested normal" came out of her mouth and I wanted to reach through the phone and give her a big smooch. A weight had been lifted, I was so relieved. She then asked me if I wanted to know the gender and I said of course! I forwarded her to Amanda and she gave Amanda the results. Amanda then wrote it down on a piece of paper, stuffed it into an envelope and gave it to me. I took it home so that Kyle and I could open up the paper together.
Soooooo......We will be expecting a beautiful bouncing baby BOY in November!!!!
Now, I am not going to lie, I was a tad bummed. I was very convinced I was having a girl (which by the way means that old wives tales don't mean shit!) I think its also because I realized that since this is our last baby, I will never fulfill the dream of having a little girl. It's okay though, I am blessed with blue and that is the way God intended it to be. Cameron will be so super stoked to have a baby brother (it was his request afterall) and even Kyle who wanted a girl because he knew I wanted a girl, is very excited. He even told me when I left for work this morning, "Take care of my boy!" And so, after much debate over the past few years, it is official, Kyle did have what it took to put a stem on it:) lol.
Now, everyone is asking me about names, and truth be told, we are still so unsure. We can't agree on anything- I, like some of you, love the name Braydon but Kyle does not. He loves Elijah but I do not want to think of the Giants QB when I call my son's name. We are back to square one with no clue and to be honest, I would not be surprised if nothing is decided until that baby is delivered. With that being said, we are definitely still taking suggestions!
I'm very excited to start looking for bedding, furniture, everything! I hope that now that we know the gender, time will start flying by. I doubt it, but a girl can hope can't she? hehe.
Below are two ultrasound pics that we had taken this past Monday. My next appt with the OB is June 2nd and then I meet again with the specialty Dr on June 15th (and every month there after) so we will be seeing the baby a LOT in this pregnancy!!!! I hope everyone has a splendid Memorial Day weekend and I'll catch you on the flip side.







1 comment:
I'm so jealous you got to know your gender a heck-ova-lot earlier than me! LOL....Congrats on the little boy! I bet you and Kyle are off to buying all kinds of baby boy stuff!
Post a Comment