The Birth Story
We showed up at Shady Grove at 9am and sat in the waiting room for about 15-20 minutes before they brought me back. My Mom and Kyle's Mom were in the waiting room with us, I was so glad to see my Mom, it eased my anxiety- that is- until I was brought into pre-op. It started off easy, I got an IV and was asked all the questions, met with my Dr. and just talked with the nurses about what to expect. At 11:30 I was taken back to the operating room and given my spinal block which sucked just as bad as I thought it would. The same feeling I had from the epidural with Cameron happened again- a shock down my left leg and then just a throbbing pain. It took a lot longer than expected for the anesthesiologist to get me all set up but once he did they laid me down, strapped down my arms and began to prepare for the surgery. Almost immediately after laying down I started to feel weird, something I cannot describe. I don't know if it was anxiety about the surgery, the fact that I was completely numb or a mixture of both but I started to feel my chest cave in. I asked for oxygen and they got that to me pretty quickly, my OB mentioned that I looked very pale and I then told her that I was going to be sick....which I did. The anesthesiologist quickly gave me some anti-nausea medicine which worked within seconds, I felt completely relaxed and that is when they brought Kyle into the room. The surgery began and about 10 minutes later I heard the most beautiful cry:) Coen Robert Boorstein arrived at 11:50am weighing 9 pounds 0 ounces and measuring 20 inches long, absolutely perfect. When the OB pulled him out she said "Whoa this is a big boy, I hope you don't have too many newborn outfits because he won't be fitting into them for long!"
The Hospital Stay
Shortly after Coen was born I was brought into the post-op room. He was grunting a little bit so the nurses were doing everything they could to make him cry to clear out his lungs. In addition, his blood sugar was a tad low so Kyle fed him formula from a bottle. I was very bummed about this, the last thing I wanted was for Coen to have any supplement, especially formula, all before I even got to hold him, but I knew it was for the best. Fortunately Coen was able to clear his lungs out on his own and did not need to go to NICU. I finally got to hold him for about 5 minutes before they took Coen into the nursery with Kyle to have his first bath. While they did that, I stayed in the room and had my vitals checked- over and over and over again- and also got some rest for about an hour. When it was time to take me into my room I was very excited to really get to be with Kyle and Coen. After they gave Coen a bath they had to wait for his temperature to come back up and I was getting impatient, where is my baby???? When they brought him in I was so happy and couldn't stop giving him kisses, but my joy turned sour quick when all of the sudden I felt like I was going to be sick. I screamed for someone to take Coen and just when Kyle grabbed him I started to get sick. This happened about 6-7 more times throughout the afternoon and into the evening, they wouldn't let me have anything- water, ice chips- nothing! It was hell, but once it passed I felt great and was in heaven with my baby boy!
Coen is a sleeper and it was really an easy stay at the hospital. Every single nurse that I had was wonderful, helpful and 100% better than those I had when I had Cameron. During the few days of our stay, Coen had his circumcision which went perfect and he was such a trooper! He was also checked by our pediatrician and had his hearing test which he passed with flying colors. I was able to get up and walk around the same day of the c-section and had the cathetar and IV removed the following day. I was determined to get up and walk around as much as possible to help the recovery time. The day before we were going to leave, the pediatrician came back to do another check on the baby and said that Coen appeared to look a tad yellow (jaundice) and ordered for him to be checked. They checked him in the afternoon, his levels were fine. They checked him again in the evening and once again, the levels were fine. For some odd reason the pediatrician still ordered for blood work the next morning (yes, Thanksgiving morning!!!) and we had to wait around for quite awhile to get the results which was frustrating! After all of that, blood work came back fine and we were discharged! YAY, we can go home:)
The Past Two Weeks
We got home and it was Thanksgiving Day. My parents, Cameron, Kyle's parents and brothers were all at the house and we were able to eat and watch football. It was a great day, we had so much to be thankful for!
Coen is still quite the sleeper, he sleeps a lot during the day and most of the night, only waking up once or twice for feedings. He also likes to pee and poop a lot- particularly on ME! He is nursing well and I have been able to pump, I have quite the supply! He makes the cutest little faces and is really starting to look like his Daddy.
Cameron LOVES Coen, he wants to hold him, feed him and help with everything... I just love when Cameron comes into the house and immediately runs to see Coen and give him kisses. What a good big brother he is!
We took Coen to see the pediatrician on the Saturday after we came home from the hospital, everything checked out fine except that he hadn't gained (nor lost) any weight. He was still weighing 8lb 5oz which is what he weighed when we left the hospital. I made another appt for the following Wednesday and when I took him in, he STILL weighed the same. I was so sad, what was I doing wrong? The Dr. couldn't figure out what the problem was either and said I was doing everything right so when we came back in for another appt this past Friday we were very relieved to see that he gained 5 ounces! No more weight checks at the Dr! His 2 week appt is this coming Friday.
We had our friend Natalie come in to do professional portraits of the boys, they turned out so well but until I am done with my special Xmas project I am not going to post them on here, hope you can understand:)
It was very special for Kyle and I to name Chris and Jessica Cullen as Coen's Godparents. They are wonderful friends of ours and in particular, Kyle has known them for many many years and they have always been there for him. We were so honored that they agreed and are truly blessed with the friends we have in our lives.
Thank you to everyone for coming to visit us in the hospital and at home, for the wonderful gifts and to Cheryl and Kelly, thanks for the yummy food!
Moving Forward
I will do my best to update the blog as much as possible, even if its just a post of new pictures. Again, these past two weeks have flown by and I can only imagine how the remaining 8 weeks of my maternity leave will do the same. It makes me sad to know that in less than 2 months my baby boy has to go to daycare and I have to go back to work...it should be a rule that once you have a child you don't have to work anymore hehe, sound good to anyone else??? Much <3>




2 comments:
Aww...welcome to the world Coen Robert!!!!
I bet you are so in love with him and it sounds like Kyle is just as happy. Keep the updates coming post some pics when you can.
Congrats Shannon!!!
Thanks Shan!
Post a Comment