Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Back to Bloggin...

Cooper will be 4 months old next week, and it's been longer than that since I've posted a blog. My B guys, as you can imagine life with 3 kiddos is nothing short of crazy, and unfortunately blogging took a seat on the non-priority list.

Cooper was born on January 29th  via c-section, 4 days earlier than my planned c-section date. I was having contractions on and off all day Saturday (28th) but nothing was consistent, and they weren't getting stronger over time. When Kyle got home from work I decided to take a shower and just relax for a little while. When I got out of the shower the contractions started coming a little more frequent. I decided to pack an overnight bag for Coen "just in case" and then take a walk. My thought was that a walk would either a). slow down false labor or b). speed up the real thing. I walked around the neighborhood once and then up Himes Ave until I got scared of the dark and rushed back home. The minute I sat down on the couch I had a contraction. A few minutes later another one. I decided to get a piece of paper and start timing them. Before I knew it they were 6 minutes apart; I was supposed to call my doctor when they were 10 minutes apart. OOPS. I called the Dr and she advised me to go into the hospital, so we dropped Coen off at my parents house and arrived at Shady Grove around 11pm.

They hooked me up to the monitors and immediately checked me to see how far along into labor I was. Kyle was amazed by how far the nurses arm went in to check, still makes me laugh to this day. Anywho, I don't remember how many cm I was dilated, I just remember being told that they felt I had enough time to do the proper pre-op and that an emergency c-section wasn't going to be necessary.. which was great. I had my blood taken to be sent to the labs and was put on an IV. The contractions at this point were going fast and furious and I was very uncomfortable. It was such a different experience than what I had with Coen when I was just able to show up feeling good (well as good as a 9 month preg can feel). I was wheeled back to the operating room and given my spinal which was MUCH better than my previous c-sections. I had made the point to the anesthesiologist multiple times that I got very sick during my birth with Coen so she took a lot of precautions to make sure that didn't happen again. Overall the surgery was a success, out popped adorable Cooper Richard, and then got my tubes tied --yes I'm sorry but this IS my last baby --

Cooper Richard Boorstein
1/29/12 1:52am
9 Pounds 20.5 Inches



Cooper spent the first two days in the NICU because he had transient tachypnea. He only had oxygen for a few hours after birth but was kept for monitoring. He was the first of my three boys to have to go into the NICU and I am blessed that it was for more precautionary reasons than anything else. It was a very different hospital experience, having to be wheeled to the NICU every 3 hours to feed him. Sometimes I would stay after a feeding and just take a nap in the chair with him on my chest. I was very successful with pumping and there were a few times where I just sent a bottle for him to be fed so I could get a little rest. The nurses at SG were great and took very good care of him (and me). When Coop was able to come into my room on Tuesday it was such a relief. We left the hospital to go home on Wednesday 2/1 with a clean bill of health.

Coop has silent reflux and was put on Zantac when he was two weeks old. After a few weeks I noticed that he was so uncomfortable and always gassy. I thought it was me and what I was eating, so I literally limited my diet to chicken and gave him gas drops for what felt like every hour. At about 8 weeks I decided to pull the plug on breastfeeding. I was depressed, I felt like I was out of touch with my body and Coop was miserable. I called the Dr. and fell apart. "Something HAS to be wrong with him, a baby doesn't cry like this, this is NOT normal." The Dr. listened to the symptoms and decided that we should try a different type of medication for his reflux. 1 in every 50 or so babies don't respond to Zantac at all. So we tried Prevacid the next day and it has changed all of our lives. Cooper is such a happy baby now, and it breaks my heart to know how much pain he must have been in before. I am so glad we figured out the problem, however, because Coop was always in so much pain I would always have to hold him to comfort him... and he still expects the same to this day even though he is happy. A habit we are in the process of breaking:)

Cameron and Coen love their little brother. It took Coen awhile to come around to him but now he adores him. He always comes up and gives Coop kisses, telling him "Hi I'm big brother Coen. You're so cute Coopy!" I melt. Cam has been a big help as he was when Coen was born too. He always picks him up and walks him around to calm him down and gives me a breather.

If there is anything I know in this world, I know that having three kids is tough, and I know that I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my boys.












That's enough updating for now... I'll post about other avenues of life next time:)

God Bless <3

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones