I wanted to document how I am feeling with every new drug I begin taking. Yesterday I began the Prima One Prenatal vitamins. I had to laugh, I'm taking birth control pills AND prenatal vitamins, talk about an oxymoron!
This morning I took another prenatal vitamin, a baby aspirin and my first shot of Lupron 20 units.
Lupron in IVF is to prevent premature ovulation. It acts by suppressing the pituitary gland which is normally responsible for triggering ovulation. However, before suppression occurs, Lupron may briefly stimulate the pituitary causing an increase in the pituitary hormones LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). This is called the agonist or flare phase. For this reason, it is usually given for a few weeks before starting the other fertility medications. This allows us to “get past” the stimulation phase and into the suppression or desensitization phase. During the suppression phase, spontaneous ovulation will not occur. This effect will even persist for a few weeks after the Lupron is stopped. Because the flare phase can sometimes result in annoying problems like the development of ovarian cysts, they try to minimize he occurrence of those problems by starting the Lupron in one of two ways: After ovulation or Using birth control pills. I used the birth control pills.
So far I feel fine, actually a bit energized because of the extra hour of sleep we got due to daylight savings. I even injected myself this morning because Kyle leaves at 4:45AM for work and since the shots have to be somewhat timed, I did not want to have to wake up that early every morning! It wasn't too bad, I didn't love it, but I dealt with it. Its all about the end result!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment