Monday, November 10, 2008

Doctor says Everything is Quiet!

The lovely Aunt Flo (AF) appeared yesterday morning, it was so lovely to see her!!! Kyle and I were in Pittsburgh for our neighbors wedding (beautiful wedding, equipped with a martini ice louge, amazing food, a 20 minute fireworks display that was better than anything the county has put on, and a beautiful bride and groom) Anyways, I called my nurse on our way home to let her know that AF appeared and we set up a 7:45 Lupron Evaluation for this morning. I got there at 7:15 hoping they would take me early, which they did.
The Lupron Evaluation was just an ultrasound and bloodwork Basically, blood tests are checks for Estrogen level, HCG (or Pregnancy test) and P4 progesterone. All these are for evaluating that my body is "quiet" and ready for stimulation. The ultrasound checks the ovaries for cysts. I am happy to report that the RE said my ovaries were very quiet, no cysts and I have plenty of follicles ready for stimulation (13 on right ovary, 10 on left). It has to be verified by my bloodwork that I can start medicating tonight, but the RE said she doesn't expect there to be any problems.
So, I will probably hear from my nurse around 3PM today, but I am hoping that everything will be tip top. If so, tonight I will begin stimmulating my follicles with 2 injections, Follistim and Luveris.

Follistim® was the first follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) treatment available in the United States in a pre-filled, pre-mixed solution. The active ingredient in Follistim® AQ Cartridge is recombinant FSH, a highly effective and widely used prescription fertility medication made from state of the art recombinant DNA technology. This hormone is identical to the follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) produced by the pituitary gland and belongs to the group of gonadotropins, which play an important role in human fertility and reproduction.
FSH is needed in women for the growth and development of follicles in the ovaries. Follicles are small round sacs that contain the egg cells. FSH stimulates the ovaries to produce mature eggs.

Some women (ME) will also be using this medicine for the development of more eggs.

Luveris is a medicine containing lutropin alfa, a recombinant form of the luteinizing hormone (LH) naturally found in humans. LH belongs to the group of hormones called gonadotropins, involved in the normal control of reproduction.
Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) work together to help your ovaries to produce eggs, as well as assist in the quality of the eggs.


I go back for monitoring on Thursday morning, then again on Saturday, Sunday, Monday...basically every morning next week until they decide that I can trigger.

I will continue to take a shot of Lupron in the mornings, and the shots of Follistim and Luveris will be in the evenings. I've been on follistim before, not quite in these dosages, but I am hoping I don't encounter any mood problems with it or Luveris. Lupron is eating me alive, Friday we watched Grey's Anatomy, there was a storyline on the episode that on normal days I would have been fine with, but on this medicine, I cried and cried and cried. Kyle laughed, which made me cry more. I've gone from happy to sad, angry to mellow- sometimes all within a 20 minute period of time. I was hoping that having Friday off would give me a chance to freshen up, but in reality, it didn't. I'm still as moody and irritable as I was last Thursday.

Bottom line, its going to be a long November.

(On a side note...I'm very happy that the Giants beat the Eagles last night... The Skins still hold strong in 2nd place in the East and a win against Dallas this weekend will be the absolute BEST. Hail Skins.)

1 comment:

The Connelly's said...

Shannon,
Words can not express how proud I am of you! This blog, as it takes us along your journey, revealing the unedited and raw emotions that you are going through, is amazing. YOU are amazing for allowing us to take this journey with you. Randy and I pray for you and Kyle and the success of this treatment. I know how badly you two want a baby and I can't imagine a couple that deserves it more!! You, much like Gotz, are an inspiration to so many that don't even know yet that they too will have to go through this long process. I look forward to this journey with you and want you to know that you will always be in my thoughts and prayers! It WILL work!
Don't hesitate to let me know if you need to get out of the office for lunch! Of if there is ANYTHING else I can do for you, I'm here! As supportive as Kyle is, sometimes it's nice to have a female that you can cry/vent/scream to!!!
WE LOVE YOU!!!!
Crystal and Randy


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones