Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Good Thing I Got Over my Needle Phobia!

I'm like a human needle pad, and if you've known me for a long time, you will know that I have never been a fan of the sharp little sucker.

Case in point.
1). When I was like 8, I had to have blood taken at the Dr. office. When I saw that needle, I ran and hid under a table. They found me:(

2). When I was 17, I got stung by a manofwar while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. That sucked. There I was just chillin in the water about waist deep singing songs with my two friends, we went over a wave and BAM, started getting stung on my left hand, it went all up my arm, on my neck down the other arm and then stuck in between my legs as I was trying to run out of the water. I have the scars, I mean this was some serious shit. I got rushed to the emergency medical center where they poured rubbing alcohol all over me and then proceeded to want to give me a shot of benedryl. One would think, after all the pain I was in that a little shot wouldn't be a thing, but it was. I had two nurses over top of me, handing off the needle back and forth as I was turning my backend away from the one with the needle, after about 3 minutes they tricked me with a fake pass and stuck the needle in. Bastards.

3). When I was 24, yeah yeah last year, my company was doing flu shots and I felt it was a good idea to protect myself. I signed up feeling confident. They day came to get it and I had the biggest anxiety attack of my life, I was sweating, crying.... but in all fairness, the flu shot hurts. You know it does, so stop judging!

When I started this whole fertility treatment thing, I didn't realize that the medicines that were going to make me "crazy" were injections, if you would have seen my face when the doctor first told me that I had to take shots you would have rolled on the floor laughing, you would have peed yourself when you saw my reaction to when the Dr. told me that the shots I was going to be getting would be given by myself! I've done pretty good though I must say, Kyle enjoys being the shot giver, and I kind of just close my eyes and take it. They are all given under my belly button, about an inch away, and I vary the spot each time.

Now before, with the IUI's, it was 1-3 shots a month, so now that its 3 shots a DAY for 9-12 days, I'm feeling a little like a research experiment.

Last night marked the beginning of my follicle stimulation with Follistim and Luveris. Follistim is easy, we've done it before, no big deal. Luveris is a bitch. Not only do I have to take the damn shot, but we have to do take the syringe, insert it into the vial of sterile water, then take the syringe out with the water, put it into another vial with the Luveris powder. Insert the water, mix it up a little, and then pull it all out. Then switch the needle from the 2 inch long one that scares the crap out of me, to a smaller one...less thick and intimidating. Kyle and I struggled a bit with this, but we figure we will get better as it goes along. Hell by the time I have to take my last shot, we will probably be pros. So at 7:30 last night, we prepped the medicines and BOOM one shot then BOOM another. I might add, I gave myself these shots. Kyle was impressed. I've had to give myself the Lupron shots every morning because every shot is timed, same time every day, so unless I wanted to get up at 5AM with Kyle every morning, I had to learn to give them to myself. I've grown so much through this process.

Laughable Note: This morning I got up, went into the kitchen and started preparing my Lupron shot. We never close the blinds to the deck because it faces woods, so this morning was no acception. I cleaned off my navel area and began to insert the shot, when I looked outside I noticed that our neighbor was standing on his deck. OH CRAP. Can you imagine what he must be thinking if he saw me...that I am a 25 year old wife, mother and drug addict?!?!

Laughable Note #2: Last night when Kyle and I were preparing the shot, Cameron was there watching. He said, "Who is that for", Kyle said "You of course!" The look on Cameron's face was priceless. He walked away saying "Nope, you're not giving me a shot because I am not sick." It was funny, it was wrong, but funny.

I'll leave with this very exciting note, the Lupron that has been making me loopy for the past week has gone from 20cc's in the morning to 5cc's beginning today. I'm hoping the lower dosage mixed in with the fact that a week from Fri/Saturday I will be done with all of these meds, will help me stay in a better mood.

Everyone can have dreams right?

1 comment:

Me said...

I know about needle phobias - it is amazing what we will do to have that baby! You should start feeling better along with the FSH - I stayed on 20 units of lupron the whole time, and just adding the follistim made me feel much better. The next week or so will go by fast! - Tkeys


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones