Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cough Cough..Sniffle Sniffle

Well, this past weekend was filled with fevers, coughs and as Kyle stated "germ infested". I left work early on Friday to pick Cameron up from the In-Laws house. That night he had a 102 degree fever and I decided that we were not going to see Disney on Ice. I was so sad to tell him, he was looking forward to it so much, but there was just no way we could do it. He slept pretty well Friday night, and stayed in bed most of Saturday. That afternoon I started to develop a slight cough and shortly after, a fever. Cameron crawled into bed with me around 1:00pm and fell asleep. He slept...and slept...and slept until it was almost 6:30 and I decided he had to wake up. When I woke him up he said, Mom, I need some breakfast! lol...the kid slept so long he thought it was morning again! I felt his forehead and it was burning hot, I took his temperature and it was 103.4 degrees. I quickly got him some meds and into a cool bath where I sat on the floor reading him a book. About 25 minutes later his fever was down to 99. He was uncomfortable in the cool water so I let him get out and he laid back down. Thankfully, that was the last time we saw a fever. Both of us, however, are still feeling pretty sick. My cough is unbearable and painful....but here I am, at work today. Such a soldier I am:)

But to everyone who sent wishes for Cameron to feel better, thank you so much. Although he missed Disney on Ice, we are going to take him to the circus in late March with the Cullen's...and he is really excited about that, so hopefully he just stays healthy and off to the circus we will go!

I entered my last week of BCP's yesterday and still no word from the Dr. which is starting to really get on my nerves. I guess I shouldn't worry too much as I still have some medications at home to get me started, but the biggest thing is making sure that the IVF will be covered in full, because that determines whether or not I will even start the medications. I am hoping not to be disappointed, because I am very ready, emotionally and physically, to get started again. A setback is just not acceptable.

I got an email from Shady Grove the other day that was a bit disturbing. It was to the general population, not just specific to me...so I am not even sure if it applies to me or not. Here is what it said.

If you live in Maryland and have been denied IVF insurance coverage because you attained a pregnancy but subsequently miscarried, you now have an opportunity to change the law.

Currently, the language of the IVF Mandate law in Maryland allows for insurance coverage of infertility treatment after a two year waiting period. However, if a woman gets pregnant, but miscarries, the two-year waiting period could be reset, resulting in the patient having to wait another 24 months before she is eligible again for IVF insurance coverage. This nuance to the law should be changed so as to not penalize women who otherwise would be eligible for coverage under the mandate had they not miscarried. The most effective and successful way to change the law is through patient testimony.

On Thursday, February 19th, the Health and Government Operations Committee in the Maryland House of Delegates will hear testimony concerning House Bill 385. The Bill clarifies the language in the current infertility insurance mandate to define a successful pregnancy as one that results in a live birth.

RESOLVE, The National Infertility Association, is looking for women to testify on February 19th in Annapolis. Even if you cannot testify, having a letter from you outlining your experience would be helpful for Resolve to give to the Committee.

If you are interested in learning more, or would like to e-mail a letter, please contact Barbara Collura, Executive Director of Resolve, at bcollura@resolve.org. For the complete text of House Bill 385 visit: http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/bills/hb/hb0385f.pdf

We at Shady Grove Fertility are committed to supporting the advocacy efforts of RESOLVE in Maryland by getting the word out about this hearing and the opportunity to make a difference.

Sincerely, The Physicians and Staff Shady Grove Fertility Center

Now, what does this mean for me? Well nothing, NOW. But what it could mean is that if MAMSI falls under this mandate, if I have the misfortune of losing another baby, I would have to wait two years before I could try again and be covered. That is crazy to me. TWO years??? So basically you are hoping for a full term pregnany (DUH) or nothing at all so that you can try again. Insurance really pisses me off sometimes.

In other notes and nuggets today, best wishes to my friend Kari on the message boards who is having her embryo transfer tomorrow. I hope your little beans stick stick stick and you see your positive in a few short weeks.

OH, and lastly, my performance review was outstanding. I seriously didn't even know how much my boss loved me until now. Out of a possible 5 (which she reminded me, no one gets a 5) I got a 4. This means that I will get my 8% bonus in a few short weeks, which will ultimately pay the money we owe on taxes (a whole nother blog post people) and a few extra dollars for Kyle and I to do something for ourselves. Good stuff. GREAT stuff.

We surely do need it.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Thanks for thinking of me Shannon. I really appreciate all your support. You are right a setback is unacceptable and you will be on your way to a BFP in no time!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones