No pressure there, kiddo!
Last week was the week from HELL! On Wednesday I had just left the house with Coen in tow, we were getting onto the ramp to 270 and some lady rear ended my car. She did a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage to my car, hit a 26 week pregnant woman with my toddler in the car, and never even apologized. She never asked if I was okay, if Coen was okay, she just rolled her eyes as if I ruined HER day. Coen and I both went to the hospital to get checked out, he went into the ER with my mother-in-law and I was sent to Labor and Delivery for monitoring. Luckilly we both checked out fine and the only thing that was really hurt was poor ole Eddie the Edge! I was put on bedrest for the remainder of the week for precautionary reasons.
That night I was laying on the couch with Cameron and he kept complaining of being itchy. I sent him up to bed and when I went to tuck him in I noticed that he was completely covered in hives from his waist up. I immediately called the pediatrician, she asked me a ton of questions, and basically she determined that an ER trip was not necessary based on the symptoms, and to just give him benedryl for the hives. About an hour later the hives were gone, thank goodness.
The next morning I went to wake Cameron up for school and I immediately examined his chest to make sure he didn't have any hives. Woohoo, we are in the clear, no hives. I told Cameron to get up and brush his teeth. He sat up and I screamed when I saw his face, it was completely swollen. He said, "Mommy, something doesn't feel right." I called the pediatrician back and explained the symptoms, plus the fact that he was complaining of some chest pressure, we were instructed to go to the ER.
Pic taken when we got to the ER, look at those puffy lips...
Back to the hospital I go....
We got to the ER and they saw him right away in the pediatric ER (really love that about FMH). He was given more benedryl and a shot of something to protect his airways. About an hour later Cameron started having a coughing attack so they ordered a nebulizer treatment. The Dr. came in after his nebulizer treatment and noticed that Cameron was breathing really heavy and fast, so he requested we have a chest xray. The xray revealed that Cam had A-Typical Pneumonia, which is probably what he had for the preceeding two weeks when we were treating him for allergies and asthma. Cameron was put on an antibiotic right away to start the healing process, but before we were released his hives came back. The Dr. then decided that he didn't feel as though it would be a good idea to release Cameron, and instead we admitted him that evening for overnight observations. At this point Nelson and I were fine with the decision, anything to make sure Cam was going to be okay, but Cameron was over it. He wanted to go home SO bad! Nelson and I both went home at different intervals to clean ourselves up and get Cameron some things..pillow, blanket, new clothes, PSP charger! By the time I got back to the hospital Cameron was doing fine, and enjoying the pampering of his new room and being catered by the nasty hospital food. (Shady Grove's food is MUCH better!)
At about 4am Cameron was given another dose of benedryl and shortly after had another coughing attack. After about 10 minutes we called the nurse and requested another nebulizer treatment. She came in to check his breathing and said that he wasn't wheezing so she didn't feel as though he needed a treatment. After she left Nelson and I began discussing the fact that Cameron hasn't been wheezing at all in the past few weeks, yet we just found out he had pneumonia! I went to the nurses station and explained to them that I didn't care if he was wheezing or not, he needed a treatment. The Dr. came in to examine Cameron and said, "Well, he is wheezing a little at the end of his breaths." Really? Thanks for nothing, nurse. The Dr. ordered the nebulizer and within minutes of having it Cameron's coughing stopped and he, Nelson and I, were able to go back to sleep.
We woke up Friday morning and were visited by a few Dr's. They told us that they wanted to keep Cameron for a good part of the day to make sure that he had no more breathing issues. Katie's Dad, Cameron's "POP" came to visit and brought Cameron some football trading cards. My Mom also came to visit and brought Cameron a Get Well balloon and some yummy snacks. Nelson also went out and brought back Chipotle for us for lunch which was a nice break from FMH food. The hives kept coming back, like clockwork, throughout the day but fortunately for us he didn't have any more coughing attacks. The Dr. gave his best guess that the hives were Cam's body's way of fighting the pneumonia, and that unless they were affecting his breathing, we shouldn't worry about them. 12 hours had passed since his last attack, and so we were finally discharged, we were going home!
Picture of hives taken when we were leaving the hospital, still pretty bad!
The next morning Cameron went to see his regular pediatrician for a follow-up, he had gone pretty much the entire night without a cough or hive breakout. He was given instructions to finish out his antibiotic for the pneumonia but for the most part, he was good to go.
In addition to all of this madness, I also lost my cell phone while we were in the hospital. It's a small detail, but still added to the crappy week.
I was supposed to have a sonogram, OB appt and glucose test on Friday, but since I was in the hospital with Cameron I called and cancelled the appt. I called back this past Monday to reschedule something for this week and that was a nightmare in itself. Of course, why wouldn't it be? Why would ANYTHING be easy? After two days of calling back trying to get an appt time, they finally scheduled me for Monday of next week, so I guess I am skipping my 26 week appt all together, whatever.
So an exciting few days coming up. Saturday we have Cameron's playoff game in Columbia at Noon - it's the last playoff game before the Super Bowl. Lets go HAWKS! Monday Coen will be starting his brand new daycare which is exciting and also an anxious time for me, and then of course I get to see the baby on the sonogram FINALLY!
I'm 27 weeks today. Coen turns two in less than two weeks, and Cameron turns nine in less than three weeks. I'm using a vacation day on the 23rd so I will get a nice 5 day break with my baby boys and spend Coen's birthday with him, I can't wait:)
So much is going on, but that is life as I know it. I really don't know what I would do if it were any different...except maybe find time to get a haircut and pedicure! I'll update with pics from the sonogram on Monday:) Til then...






No comments:
Post a Comment